Monday, July 23, 2012

Tic-Tac-Type!

How is everyone? It's been a little more than a week since I started the blog and want to thank you for reading and keeping up on what I've been doing. Anyway, what's nice is that I have sketch sessions from the summer that I've needed to upload. For this post however, I'm only going to be showing the experiments that I did with type. 

Something that I've noticed with being in Illustration is that, all of us could use help with using typography into our work. I think it must have been about a month ago that I really got into a typography kick. I was so excited to make some type of my own. It's so easy as a student to simply look at font websites and download free fonts that you feel are appropriate for a project. Which is not a bad thing on it's own, but I would say that it can be a bad habit, if done persistently.

For some students, they just simply use the font as is; others take it and manipulate it according to the placement they want it; some even reconstruct an entire new font based on one that is already designed. No matter what we do there is one thing that we can never escape, a type-less world of illustration. Type may not be used in every project, but when it is you better know how to use it to your advantage.

Wow... ugh... wasn't planning on saying all of this, I simply wanted to show you some type that experimented with during the summer.

I hope that it inspires you to make some of you own! 

Enjoy!

 Here is a set that I made based on a shape that I saw while walking around.





This was some type that I designed with a brush. The type was mostly determined by how the brush laid down strokes. If you look at it close enough, you can see that these letters are very close in characteristics of my blog banner. From this type that I made, it helped me narrow my search for a font that I wanted to use for my own personal branding.

Anyway, I like to think of these as sketches of the type that maybe one day I'll actually make into real type that I can use on my computer. Who knows? Anyway have fun making your own type and remember to look for anything for inspiration or maybe you just need to exchange your pencil for another tool. Whatever the case just have fun making it!

-W-

No comments:

Post a Comment